How does waterjet cutting compare to EDM cutting?
When comparing waterjet cutting with EDM:
- Abrasive jets are much faster than EDM.
- Abrasive Jets machine a wider variety of materials (virtually any material).
- Abrasive jets make their own pierce holes.
- Abrasive jets do not heat the surface of what they machine.
- Abrasive jets are capable of ignoring material aberrations that would cause wire EDM to lose flushing.
- New technology allows Abrasive jets to obtain tolerances of up to +/- 0.1mm or better.
- No heat affected zone with Abrasive jets.
- Abrasive jets require less setup.